Get the whole company to engage in hiring, and care for your candidates.
- $2k employee referral bonus may be an order of magnitude too small
- consider internships
- consider bootcamps like Code2040, Techtonica, Hack the Hood, or Year Up
- make sure the whole company is aware of what we’re hiring for
- filter out candidates soon, i.e. minimise time spent on non-hires
- give exact questions with precise answers (not open-ended) to non-technical recruiters to perform initial screening
- communicate, even if it’s “no updates”
- “hiring is partly sales”
- engineers: have an at-home (not real-time) coding test which should take ~3h. Review code together after. Could skip code for v. senior hires
- or longer hours but pay for the candidate’s time?
- team/1-1 meetings after coding test
- could swap this order?
- hire candidates with excellent communication skills. Don’t assess their “culture”